So, I did a play.
I’m just buttoning it up, too; the posters are all down, everything borrowed has been cleaned and returned, and I’m going to write some thank you notes when I finish this post.
I was very pleased with how it went overall. Friday night there was an–ahem–unfortunate incident. Believe me, you will be hearing about it, but not today.
I got bigger crowds than I anticipated: a little over 50 the first night and a little over 60 the second night. I made enough money from bake sale/donation proceeds to mostly reimburse costs and pay our rent for the space, so that was great. (I’m still poor, don’t get me wrong, but there is no longer a mere $2.00 in my bank account).
“But, what about the play itself? How did it go?” You may rightly ask.
Well, during crash week, I wanted to stab several people in their eyeballs, because this is how things go, but once we hit show, everyone really stepped up. Few lines were missed, mistakes were glossed over pretty well, and everyone seemed to enjoy the show.
It was, of course, not as polished as humanly possible–that’s to be expected in a show run completely by amateurs. But I thought the story was good, and my cast performed it well, and acted mostly-professionally (at least, onstage).
Overall it was a really good experience and I’m very, very glad I did it.
It was, however, very stressful, but the stress did produce some good fruit.
Ultimately, I think I’ll have similar experiences in the future of writing, directing, and perhaps producing (though not all at once), and I’m sure they’ll be better than this one.
But, for what it was, I thought it was really good, and I’m very proud of it.